The First Day My Life Changed Forever
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Today marks the first day that my life will never be the same. Today starts the first day that I would not have the option of talking to my mom for the rest of my earthly life.
As I woke up this morning, I felt it was It was fitting that it is also a new year in addition to this new season of living without my mom for the rest of my earthly life. I will carry her in my heart and actions however, and I am forever thankful for that.
Honestly, if I think too much about it I cry- I am actually all teared up as I type this but it is a necessary part of the process.
She passed away yesterday at 4pm EST with her three kids holding her hand. We were there when they took her off life support and she passed within an hour.
Even as I sat there holding her hand while she took her last breaths, I focused on one of my favorite verses: 1 Thessalonians 5:18 –
“Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.”
As I was standing in a moment that will categorically be one of the worst moments of my life- I had so much to be thankful for.
- I was thankful for her being my mom and the memories I hold in my heart
- I was thankful for the bonus years we got with her when so many times the doctors didn’t expect her to make it but she beat the odds
- I was thankful for my siblings to have at my side to go through this with
- I was thankful to be able to hold her hand as she slipped into her eternal home
- I was thankful for the medical staff and her caregivers who treated her with such kindness
- I was thankful for all that she has taught me over the years
- I was most thankful for a mom who loved the Lord and taught me to love Him too
For the month of January we will focus on being THANKFUL in Fruit Bearing Family. It will be raw for my heart in a heart-wrenching, beautiful way. I have a feeling that pretty much the next year will be that way. And I’m thankful for the grief process because I DO HAVE MUCH TO BE THANKFUL FOR.
I am thankful that I have a Heavenly Father that loves me and that I am never alone. That the Holy Spirit is my comforter.
Our verse this week will be 1 Thessalonians 5:18.
APPLY THE VERSE as a family:
Talk as a family this week about how even in 2020 with everything that happened, what you can be thankful for.
Much Love Friends,